After seeing the popularity of my original guide for Rooting the Rogers Post E911 Magic / Magic+ and knowing how daunting the guide looked to someone who hasn’t done it before, I decided to try to come up with something much simpler for those of you who may have found the original guide just a little too involved to attempt. My first guides are the way they are because that’s the exact steps in the order that I took them to gain root back on a Post E911 magic.
The RadioSwitcher batch file is thanks to eyegor over at XDA-Developers.com, I’ve just changed a couple of the files and edited the script to use the E911 radio from the Rogers dream. We are using the Dream radio because CyanogenMod currently is not compatible with the E911 Radio from the Magic and Rogers scans their system looking for specific Radio files associated with the E911 update. If the correct Radio’s are not found, Rogers will cut your data access. The E911 Radio from the dream is compatible with The Magic, CyanogenMod and the Rogers Scan.
The original technique of using the European RUU to break the perfected SPL is credited to Orange_24 again over at XDA-Developers.com, I’m sorry that I don’t have a link for this one.
This guide will leave you with the following setup
- SPL – 1.33.2010
- Radio – 220.127.116.11
- Recovery – RA-sapphire-v1.7.0H
- ROM – CyanogenMod 5.0.8
This guide is ONLY intended for the Rogers Magic/Magic+ that have the post E911 perfected SPL on them. As with all procedures involving the flashing of your phone there is always a risk however small that something could go wrong and you could end up with nothing but an expensive paperweight. If you choose to follow this guide or use the files linked within, you and you alone are responsible for any and all problems that you or your device may have.
UPDATE 1 – Added missing file copy and re-uploaded the CM6 files. New CM6 files that are linked below are now for CM6.0.0RC2.
UPDATE 2 – With the stable release of CM6.0.0 this guide has been change to use this new release
Step 1 Download of the required files.
Step 2 To create a Goldcard, Follow this procedure.
Step 3 Extract and copy files to required locations.
- Make a directory on the root of your “C” drive called MagicRoot and extract the contents of MagicRootKit.Zip into that folder.
- Extract the CyanogenMod.zip file wherever you would like and copy the 3 files contained within to the root of the Goldcard.
- Copy the file c:\MagicRoot\update-hboot-1.76.2007-signed.zip to the root of your phones SD card
- Copy the file c:\MagicRoot\recovery-ra-hero-v1.6.2.img to the root or your phones SD card
Step 4 — Start the rooting procedure
- From your PC, run the downloaded file RUU_Sapphire_HTC_Europe_3.05.401.1_test_signed_NoDriver.exe
- When the RUU has completed and the phone has rebooted open up a command window on your PC and enter the following commands
- path = %path%;c:\magicroot
- adb devices (you should see the Serial Number of your device listed)
- adb shell (you will get a prompt #)
- flash_image recovery recovery-RA-hero-v1.6.2.img
- Turn off phone and turn on again holding Power+Home. RA Recovery should appear
- Select Flash zip from SD card and flash the file “update-hboot-1762007-signed.zip”
- After the SPL has been flashed you will be asked to reboot your phone, the phone will reboot back into recovery and you will see a message “formating cash” at the bottom that won’t go away, you can ignore that message.
At this point your phone is now rooted. If you wish you could leave my guide at this point and follow any other guide that you wish to install a custom ROM that is compatible with a 1.76.x radio. To continue with installing CyanogenMod it is now required that we change the Radio/SPL/Recovery to a version compatible with CyanogenMod.
Step 5 Change Radio/SPL/Recovery versions using RadioSwitcher script.
- Reboot your phone into fastboot mode (Power + volume down)
- Return to your command window and enter the command “radioswitcher”
- Select option 1 ( Flash Old Radio)
- after receiving message “Radio SPL and Recovery updated successfully”, Select option 3 (Exit)
Step 6 Flash CyanogenMod
- Reboot the phone into recovery (Home + Power)
- Perform a wipe
- Flash the CyanogenMod files in this order
- reboot your phone and you are now running CyanogenMod 6.0.0
If you have any problems with CyanogenMod, please visit the Dream/Sapphire section of the forum over at CyanogenMod.com and post your questions there. If you want to keep up to date on future releases of CyanogenMod you can follow Cyanogen on Twitter and if you want to keep up to date on the EBI1/32A kernel ports you can follow bcrook88 on Twitter